Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving a website to make it more relevant and user-friendly to searchers and search engines.
“It starts with a website that is content-rich, user-friendly, and provides some value to whoever is searching for specific information.”Kathleen Marrero
SEO implementation is not a stand-alone and depends on many other factors, including on-page and off-page factors that affect search results.
Once the infrastructure layers of your website are built for search engines, the website should focus on content that offers value focused on the user’s search intent.
The search engine algorithm is always changing, but focusing on the basic SEO strategy checklist included below to optimize your website is essential to be discovered online organically.
Once the basic infrastructure is established for your website, off-page promotions of your content to drive traffic to your website through social media, digital pr, or paid ads are necessary to increase traffic. The search engines will determine your relevancy and authority because your followers were obtained by purely compelling them to interact with your content.
Search engines, just like your users, respond to unique content. If you consistently keep your audience in mind, have researched relevant target keywords, provide content that is unique and high-quality with internal links and engage with your audience, then the search engines will see that this is a credible website that should rank on their search engine.
Basic SEO Checklist for Building Your Website Credibility
This is a basic checklist for SEO infrastructure and content guidelines to keep in mind to get you started optimizing your website for various ranking factors.
Does your website site structure enhance SEO?
- Are there internal, working links on your webpage?
- Are there relevant keywords and long tail keywords used?
- Is your website written in HTML?
- Did you place the most important content at the top of the webpage?
- Is your website responsive to mobile and web?
Did you analyze your on-page webpage?
- Are the head copy title tag unique, relevant, and no longer than 60 characters?
- Are the head copy descriptions unique, relevant, grammatically correct, and 160 characters or fewer?
- Does the body copy contain H1, H2, and other H tags, and are they keyword rich?
- Is Alt text used for all images?
- Are your <meta> descriptions compelling enough to convert a searcher to action?
Is your content Search Engine and User-friendly?
- Does your content contain relevant SEO keywords?
- Are you producing content consistently?
- Is your content unique and user-friendly?
- Does your content contain internal and external links?
- Did you eliminate duplicate content?
Are you being social?
- Did you post consistent and useful content?
- Are you building your community of followers organically?
- Do you interact with your followers?
5 things to keep in mind when dealing with SEO
- Website Infrastructure
- Link Building
- Social networking
- User Experience
Not one of these SEO elements is more important than the other. Each depends on one other to rank a page successfully with search engines. SEO efforts will not yield overnight success, especially for a newly published page. However, over time if you continue to establish a presence online and keep all SEO infrastructure updated, you will eventually see a return on your efforts.