Twitter has 313 Million active users. Every element of your Twitter account showcases and reflects your business. It will extend your reach to drive more traffic to your website, create brand recognition, establish a presence to grow an engaged audience and also allow you to connect with your audience in a new way.
Twitter has the potential to be a powerful tool for marketing your business.
Twitter is an online news and social networking platform where users post and interact with other users. A Tweet is any message posted to Twitter which may contain photos, videos, links and up to 140 characters of text.
Seven easy steps to set up a Twitter account for your business.
- Start by signing up and verifying your information with Twitter.
- The first step to setting up your profile is by adding a user name, also known as your handle. It is displayed as @username and is your unique identifier on Twitter.
For your business, try to use the name that identifies your company. If that is taken, you can create a user name that clarifies the industry you work in or a popular product or service you sell. Whatever you decide, you can always change it later.
(pic. 1 profile)
- Follow the prompts to get to your profile page. Your Twitter profile is comprised of five different parts (see pic 2. Below): your username which you already setup, your profile picture, your header pic, your bio, and your pinned tweet. I will walk you through each step.
(pic 2. Completed Twitter Profile)
- Your profile photo for your business should visually represent your brand. You can use a personal photo that best represents you, or If you have a logo this is the ideal place to use it as it will be shown as the icon in every Tweet you post. The recommended image size for your profile pic is 400×400 pixels. Click on profile pic (see pic 3 below) to upload.
(pic 3. profile picture)
- Your header image should highlight your business. It can feature your popular products, services you offer, or any upcoming events. The header can change as often as you like to promote anything you want to offer or highlight. Click on the header photo (see pic 4 below) to upload a header picture. The recommended size for your Twitter header image is 1500×1500 pixels.
(Pic. 4: Header photo pic)
- Your bio (see Pic 5 below) is a place to pitch your business. You have 160 characters to tell potential followers about your business so it is helpful to include location or hours and a link to your website.
(Pic. 5: Bio section)
- Twitter offers an option to pin a Tweet to the top of your news feed. This option allows you to keep your important business tweet at the top of your timeline. You can do this by clicking on the more option on the Tweet you want to pin and selecting the pin your profile page.
(Pic. 6: How to Pin Tweet)
Get your message out
At this point, you should be all set to start Tweeting. Tweet anything that represents your business from original content, pictures or retweet content that you think your followers will enjoy. Remember to keep it to 140 characters.
Twitter should be a major part of your marketing strategy. It is effective at reaching your potential customers, building brand recognition and establishing a loyal customer base.
For more social media tips follow me @KathleenMarrero